Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hump Day Leftover Makeover

I think there is no better use for leftovers than GUMBO! Truly a little of this and a little of that in a gorgeous brown roux with just enough heat to warm the tongue and you can have a brand new dinner with no (or next to no) more money on the grocery bill. Simple simple- I used half of a turkey kielbasa, a handful of frozen shrimp and some chicken and tossed it in with green peppers, onions, celery, canned diced tomatoes with juice, chicken stock (home-made) and some spices. Simmered long enough to concentrate the flavor and dumped it over some brown rice. The dinners that I had leftovers from were as follows:
Sausage, kraut, mashed potatoes and corn (i also used the leftover kraut to make some Reubens later in the week)
Roasted chicken (i used the carcass for stock and the meat as, well, meat) with green beans and sweet potatoes
So I am not any better at posting an actual recipe but I thought this was a good idea to share and went with it. I think I will make it my usual Wednesday post- how to recreate your leftovers so you don't feel like you are eating the same thing all week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment