Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Meatless Makeover

Another Ash Wednesday already- my baby girl was born on Easter last year so it seems unbelievable that we have reached Lent- time flies when you're not sleeping :/
It is a GREAT idea to have a meatless night of the week (even if you are not a Catholic during Lent like me) because it can save you an average of 5 bucks a week.... 20 a month and 240 per year! Plus there are really wonderful vegetarian dishes out there that are so good for you. Of course you can still have fish too but tonight I used leftovers to create meat-free burritos .

I had some leftover baked rice (maybe 2/3 cup), corn, black beans and half a can of diced tomatoes (drained) all from the previous few nights dinners. To fill in the protein, I added about a half cup of cooked lentils. To the mixture I added 1/2 a minced onion, a cup of shredded cheese and perhaps a 1/2 tsp each cumin, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder and salt with a 1/4 tsp black pepper and a Tbsp taco sauce. You will mayube think it weird, but I also added about 2 Tbsp prepared ranch dressing- it makes it come together better with a little moisture. Then I just wrapped the mixture on 6 whole wheat tortillas, sprinkled with a bit more cheese, covered and baked for 20-30 minutes on 300 degrees. Served with salsa and sour cream, I did not miss the meat- but I did wish for some avacados.....

To reiterate ingredients:
2/3 cup chicken flavored rice
1/4 cup corn
1/2 can drained black beans
1/2 can drained diced tomatoes
1/2 onion- finely chopped/grated
1 cup shredded cheese (of your choice)
1/2 tsp each cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp taco sauce
1 Tbsp ranch dressing (Hidden Valley)
6 whole wheat tortillas
salsa and sour cream

1 comment:

  1. I just made a tasty break fast sandwich that would even be good without the bacon (maybe substitute an egg on fridays in Lent)I used my toaster oven, but I'm sure you could do it on the oven.
    Pre-heat oven to at least 450
    Toast a piece of Whole wheat bread in toaster
    Spread with a bit of butter and leftover guacamole
    Top with cooked bacon (or an egg)
    Lay on a piece of Provalone
    Set on a cookie sheet
    Bake until cheese melts and begins to brown
    Top with sliced tomato (if you don't mind them hot, I actually had them under the cheese when I toated my sandwich)

    ReplyDelete