Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pancake Sunday

Last night as I was tucking my little man into bed he said "Momma- can we have some pancakes for breakfast?" For you Mr. Nolan, of course.
Pancakes are a staple in this house for versatility and (actually) healthy kickstarts to the day. They are the perfect vehicle for fruit and/or vegetable purees, are cheap and fillingand when topped with a bit of cream and fruit compote are delicious!! This morning I went for quick and easy because the troops were restless. All the good for you whole grain mixes come out a little dense so I have just been making our own  mix. Here is my favorite:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose unbleached flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4  cup applesauce
2 egg yolks
1 and 1/2 cups milk
2 Tbsp melted butter
Mix dry together. Mix wet together. Stir until just combined (don't overmix). Will be thick.
Heat griddle top. Spray with nonstick spray and drop 1/3 cup batter on griddle. Turn with bubbles stay open on the top. We served with butter and maple syrup.
Note: If you want to up the protein factor, blend cottage cheese in a food processor and replace 1/2 to 3/4 of the milk with it- it is really good and I frequently do this when I make batches of pancakes to freeze for the kiddos!!

No comments:

Post a Comment